Rated by Super Lawyers 
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice. Facebook Twitter Linked In
Eve Guillergan PLLC
Call now: (212)-279-9020
875 Avenue of the Americas, Suite 17-03; New York, NY 10001; Fax: (212)-202-5064

K-1 VISA (for Fiancé or Fiancée)

Individuals interested in entering the United States to marry an American citizen should apply for a K-1 Visa. The K-1 Visa enables you to apply for conditional permanent resident status.

The Process

The American citizen should first file a petition, Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e), with the CIS having jurisdiction over the place of the his/her residence in the U.S. The approved petition will then be forwarded by CIS to the American consular office where the beneficiary (the foreign fiancé/e) will apply for his/her visa. A petition for K-1 status is valid for four months from the date of CIS action, and may be revalidated by the consular officer.

The consular officer will then notify the beneficiary when the approved petition is received and provide you with the necessary forms and instructions to apply for a K-1 Visa. Because you are an intending immigrant, you must meet certain requirements similar to the requirements of an immigrant visa applicant.
You must marry the petitioning American citizen within 90 days of your entry into the U.S. using the K-1 Visa. After you marry, you are eligible to apply for Conditional Permanent Residence on Form I-485.  You cannot come to the U.S. on a K-1 visa and then marry someone else and get your greencard through marriage to someone else other than the person sponsoring you.


The following documents are required for the K-1 Visa:
  1. A passport, valid for travel to the United States for duration more than the intended period of stay by at least six months.
  2. A birth certificate.
  3. A divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse.
  4. Police certification of all the places you have lived since the age of 16.
  5. A medical examination.
  6. Evidence of support.
  7. Evidence of a valid relationship with your fiancé(e).
  8. Two recent photographs 1 & 1/2 inches square (37mm x 37mm), with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering.
index Back to Family based index