Rated by Super Lawyers 
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice. Facebook Twitter Linked In
Eve Guillergan PLLC
Call now: (212)-279-9020
875 Avenue of the Americas, Suite 17-03; New York, NY 10001; Fax: (212)-202-5064

Policy Alert on Marriage and Living in Marital Union Requirements for Naturalization

Oct 12, 2018

On October 12, 2018, the USCIS issued a policy alert on marriage and living in marital union requirements for naturalization. Normally, a person has to have his/her green card for five years to apply for naturalization. However, this requirement period is shortened to three years for those who are married to US citizens. The USCIS clarifies that you must be married AND "living in marital union" (living together) for at least 3 years immediately before filing the application for naturalization. They also clarify that you must be married until you take the Oath of Allegiance for naturalization (but you don't need to be living together).https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20181012-MaritalUnion.pdf

Mailing lists
If you would like to receive regular updates on Immigration news as well as news about our firm.

Please register on our mailing list.

Index Back to news items list